Re: Ditching the computer...stuff for sale

Quoting Krispen Hartung <khartung@q.com>:

> Hello folks.
>
> After over a year of contemplating this, I have decided to simplify
> my life and ditch the laptop and music software.  Yes, it's
> true...the guy who was the posterchild for eliminating hardware and
> had built such as sweet system is changing approaches yet again. :)
>   What am I playing now?  Eastman archtop jazz guitar and amp.
> That's  it. Time to focus and get real, spend less time on the
> computer and  more time playing with human beings.   I will be
> keeping an old  laptop with some editing software, but that is it.
>
> I'm selling some other items as well.    I open to trades too. I'm
> looking for a high end all tube combo amp.
>
> For anyone interested, I am selling the following individually or as
>  a package deal:

Kris,

Forgive my delayed reply here.  I'm kind of surprised to read that
you've decided to hang up your looping gear.  At the same time,
looping isn't all things to all people -- it has its own peculiar
capabilities and limitations.

However, software-based music-making contains a risk: namely
option-shock.  There is an overwhelming amount of capability -- and
overwhelming is an understatement.  Sometimes one views all the
software-driven sonic capability with excitement and sometimes it all
becomes burdensome.  The risk with technology is the loss of
spontenaety.  To go through menu after menu of VST  sounds can be the
equivilant of wandering forty years in the desert.

My prediction is that you will return to laptop-based processing in
the future.  Well, not to worry -- technology isn't going to go away
and it will be there for you whenever you decide to return to it.

All the best!

-- Kevin