Re: Self-Promotion, Ambient Music and Radio

Matt Stevens <mattstevensguitar@btinternet.com> was all:
> ...create a zip file of your
> album to send to reviewers and do it like that.

Really? This is the opposite I hear from most reviewers. My experience
is that most reviewers receive so many submissions that they will only
review something if they receive a professionally-replicated CD with a
one-sheet (not a CDR, weblink, or collection of zipped files). A
one-sheet should be included with the disc. Google "One Sheet" if you
don't know what that is.

On the other hand, many music venues (especially the amateur-friendly
ones where folks like me play) prefer artist "demos" to be in the
website form. In this case, the website should have easy-to-find music
samples and bio information about the artist. Myspace pages work fine
for this.

If your cd is being released online through Itunes, Amazon, etc, the
most important reviewer I know if is All Music Guide
(www.allmusic.com). If you get reviewed there, the review will be
populated to a bunch of other websites. They'll also put up "like
artists" information and bio information. HOWEVER: Make sure you're
ready to be represented by this review before you send a disc to them.
I made the mistake of sending them my first "real" cd, which was a 3/5
stars affair and not indicative of what I sound like. Long story
short, I wish the first thing I sent them was the next cd. (They also
don't review everything you send.)

David, the samples on your myspace page make me think your stuff would
be especially popular on internet ambient and "space music" stations.
As Per suggested, do a google search for "ambient" and "radio" and
you'll get a ton of results. Follow the links and make sure the
stations are still active. Hmmm, I should follow my own advice with my
new cd.

I like the 9.9.99 song.

--
Matt Davignon