Re: If you had to state 5 rules of a successful music composition for 12th grade students...

Don't emphasize too many rules, instead have them do the following
over a week or two weeks.

1 assign them to listen to something like Sofa by Frank Zappa,
Different Trains by Steve Reich, Adagio for Strings by Samuel Barber,
The Moment at Which You Must Finally Let Go of the Teather that Has
Held Your Hope Airbourn by Will Ackerman, Let the Power Fall by Robert
Fripp and Turn Out the Stars by Bill Evans
2 next day do something fun, anything
3 next day sit down with their instrument of voice, something easy to
reocrd with and for a 30 min play or sing anything that comes into
their head, stop don't listen back
4 next day repeat the above and don't listen back
5 next day sit down with instrument or voice, if your requirement is
notation have them take an assigned key, pick 4 notes and only those 4
notes, compose 32 bars in any time signature they prefer.  At end of
32 bars of melody go back and compose a counter line, do this again
for 3rd and 4th part.  If notation is not required have them do this
by multi channel recording.  Turn in either result to you for
completion of this project.

Jim

--
Sent from my mobile device