From: ditch wrestler <ditchwrestler@yahoo.com>
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Sent: Fri, January 22, 2010 6:01:02 AM
Subject: Re: If you had to state 5 rules of a successful music composition for 12th grade students...

When I lead a free improvisation session, I generally get people to focus on two things:

1) To paraphrase from "Dead Poets Society" (movie, 1989) - your ideas can be simple, just don't let them be boring.  This can involve drone & repetition (as long as it's interesting).

2) if you've got more than two or more elements (i.e., instruments, people, etc.), it should be conversational.  No one likes the person that monopolizes the conversation, the end result is always richer if everybody contributes, and it should have an ebb & flow like a normal conversation.

ted h.
Enemies are good for self-definition. Werner Herzog