Re: Brian Eno about recorded music

hi-

> . But there is something special there that is lost on the I-Pod
> generation. I concur.

i'm not too sure that i agree with a great deal of the sentiment
expressed here, re: the fetishism of owning plastic/vinyl discs.

i'm not the ipod generation, nor am i old enough to actually consider
vinyl "the superior medium". i own a few thousand cd's, accumulated
over the past two decades more or less. i own zero vinyl records. i
have owned four ipods. i have not owned a cd player in a decade. my
primary source for listening to music is my computer and my ipod. i do
not pirate music, ever.

at the beginning of 2009, i decided to do an experiment, and switch
all my music purchases to digital only for the whole year. ok, i
cheated a few times (if, and only if) a band i liked came through
town; i'd probably buy their cd if i liked their performance. that
said, i will probably never purchase another cd / physical product.
here's a short list:

1. the environmental cost is far too high. someday i'll be dead. and
where will all that plastic end up? all those bulky jewel cases and
shiny plastic coasters full of music that someone once cared about and
now no one does. i don't like the idea of leaving a giant plastic
footprint on the world.

2. they are low touch, high occupancy items. i buy a cd, i rip it in
itunes, i shelve it. end of story. sure i might read the liner notes a
time or two. but by and large it is literally sitting there taking up
space for the next X number of years. eventually, we're back to point
1, above.

3. artwork, whatever. if i had a dollar for every cd i've bought with
terrible artwork with no information inside, i could go on an itunes
shopping spree. a nicely done PDF can be FAR better than a printed
booklet, if it's done with some creative vision.

4. record stores. sorry, but i really consider these a massive waste
of time. don't get me wrong i used to get a lot of pleasure out of
spending hours of my time and many many dollars at amoeba (here in SF,
truly one of the nations best record stores). BUT, more often than
not, they wouldn't have exactly what i was looking for, so i'd end up
blindly buying other stuff with mixed results. so that can be pretty
frustrating. sure, i came upon some great finds, but NOTHING can
compare with highly tuned recommendation algorithms, not even friends
recommendations. while i'm not too convinced by amazons recommender, i
think emusic has a great one, and of course netflix (yes, different
medium, but same principle) is basically unrivalled. add to that the
fact that i can literally be listening to the record in my home
environment in a matter of seconds, that's very compelling.

for me, digital is by far a superior music purchasing experience. i
use itunes (rarely), amazon (occasionally), and emusic (like a crack
addiction).

of course, as an artist, the move to digital has hurt my overall
sales, as more people use file transfer for music piracy. that's an
undeniable fact. BUT, it's helped me as well:

1. digital sales are 100% trackable. this means that the numbers
reported to soundscan are 100% accurate. no more guesswork as to how
many onestops out there don't subscribe to soundscan, meaning i have
no idea what my actual sales numbers are. i have a perfectly good
relationship with my label, but nonetheless, i like seeing concrete
data too.

2. no physical product means that there are no more physical product
returns affecting my sales. this is huge for me, as i got seriously
screwed when tower records went out of business and returned over 2500
copies of my second album. i'm almost, but not quite, out of that hole
(several years later).

3. streaming revenue is making me more money now than physical sales
on some of my records (the older ones in particular), which helps a
lot. in a way, it's the perfect union of the above two points...how
many broadcast radio stations really report accurate info? computer
data allows for all of this to be 100% trackable, and helps my
performing rights organization actually collect money and pay me!

i like the fact that eno is being so confrontational with his
statement. artists are all too often throwing their hands in the air
and bemoaning the death of the music industry. i've done it myself! so
the challenge is to come up with other ways of making it work.

we're supposed to be creative people, right?

- tyler / informatik
- www.nymphomatik.com