Re: David Torn,Terry Bozzio,Tony Levin,Pat Mastelotto NAMM 2010

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 4:00 PM,

andy butler <akbutler@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> yep, I was disappointed by the "guitar god" hierarchical structure,
> and lack of interplay.

Can't deny that. But obviously it was a big stage with loud PA and
on-stage monitoring - anyone that has tried that knows how hard it is
to get the interplay flow running freely.... I think they did well
under the circumstances. Torn was sometimes clearly not able to hear
the other guys but still managed to make some interesting noise and
the same can be said about Bozzio. When monitoring is down you just
have to stick with something that minimizes the risk for musical
clashes ;-))  Tony Levin chose the other alternative in such a
difficult situation: not playing until you get a good view of what's
going on and then start adding something that makes sense. In a way
the video was a nice lecture.

> The first lesson on any instrument should be how to create silence.

I'm mastering that right now by keeping my 1929 tenor sax in a french
case at the closet. On the STick I'm not that  good... keep pounding
"metal riffs + thumping bass" all over, but I guess that's just a
childish phase that will soon leave room for something more silent.
(can certain music be more silent than other music? would that be
better?)

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se