Re: 2 new tracks (free downloads)

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 12:12 PM, Per Boysen <perboysen@gmail.com> wrote:
> I like your music Sjaak. It has developed in an interesting way over
> the last year. What I mean is that now I only hear "Sjaak expression"
> in the music, while earlier on I also heard "some cool sound patches
> being played in a nice way".

Thanks Per. This is good news for me because your reply confirms that
the project is developing in the right direction. I know exactly what
you mean and you're d*mned right about it ;-) There's still a lot of
work to do though. I think overall, my "sound" is ok, I have my gear
under control but I need to work on my live improv and composition
skills. So I'm currently working different musical themes and looping
strategies to improve the live improvisations. That's a real challenge
and takes a lot of time but so far, it has helped me a finding "the
path" ;-) A good mix of preparation and live improv, that's my goal
for 2010/2011.

> Here's a technical point: I'm listening over a full range system here
> and for my taste the throbbing sub bass punches of "20100202.mp3" are
> too disturbing. If you practice over a non full range system, meaning
> you won't hear what's happening in the sub bass domain, you can slap a
> Channel EQ over the signal chain as a graphic indicator of what is
> going on.

I recorded these tracks with Mainstage and used my HK Audio PA as
monitor while playing, that's the set I normally use on stage for
small gigs. I actually haven't checked the master EQ in detail, but it
sounded OK on my headphones. But I'll fire up Logic again to see
what's wrong with the EQ. Thanks for the tip, I appreciate these kind
of comments :)
--
Sjaak Overgaauw
http://premonitionfactory.com/