Re: Looperlative & Novation Remote Zero?

i've inserted my replies below...

Presumably I'll have to do the same with the Novation.

the novation will run off any 9v power adaptor that's centre positive (you can get a polarity invertor from visual sound if you only have centre negative ones)

Does the Novation + Looperlative provide reasonable front panel feedback? For example, could I set it up so that I could see which tracks had been set for scramble or reverse, etc.?

unfortunately, the screen is quite small and only shows which function you've selected when you actually send the command. you've just got to use your ears, really

Is it possible to have a mute function for the track in addition to the volume control?

yes - the stop commands are effectively mutes. you can unmute a track immediately with a "play now", or use "play" to unmute from the beginning of the cycle

Having touched off the Looperlative v EDP debate, I must say that the EDP wasn't that hard to configure for MIDI control either though it isn't as flexible as the Looperlative. Andy's discussion of issues like long presses and the tuning on the behavior of the various modes is what makes the EDP seem more immediately controllable whereas the Looperlative is a high-quality core that needs to be configured to really be exploited.

that's part of the beauty of the machine - everyone's different and work in different ways, so you can configure the lp-1 to do what YOU want it to do

One challenging area I've distinctly seen with the Looperlative is that the internal state machine seems at times harder to manipulate than the EDP. For example, having set up a basic cycle on one loop/looper, I like to have another loop/looper running with 0% feedback so that it just gives me a single repeat, but I then want to be able to transition into an overdub mode or even a hold (i.e., feedback = 100%, input = 0%). That's fairly easy in some configurations on the EDP. The Replace+Original function on the Looperlative seems to be the way to do it there, but it seems harder to set commands for "now I'm replacing", "now I'm overdubbing", "now I'm holding" that will work from any of the states. Maybe I've just missed some subtleties in the Looperlative programming and/or I'm using the wrong function.

you've got to get your head out of edp-ville. you simply need to configure a knob or fader to control feedback level. in overdub mode, with feedback set to zero, you've got a single "delay". turn feedback up and you're overdubbing. close the loop with 100% feedback and you're in "hold" mode

But I'll note, for example, that there aren't enough steps in a command to create a "Feedback = 0%" button.

not sure what you mean here. there's no feedback = 0 command, but once you have set up a continuous controller for feedback, then all you have to do is configure a button to send a value of zero for that cc number. if you create the button as a toggle, then you can toggle between whatever two feedback values you like

sim