Re: the death of the loop

I agree that looping is a philosophy, just as much as it's a method. I think however that certain concepts of convetional music playing can be combined with looping in an interesting manner. Sometimes what helps me is when I'm 10 minutes into a loop improv, listening to the loops I have going and truly deciding whether I would be enjoying that listening experience, if I weren't the one playing it. If I listen, and decide, I'd be kind of bored by this, I change it, or find a way to end it (fade, speed shift to simulate tape slowdown, stop with a nice delay on multiple channels, giving a nice fade, play out with a fading loop...those are a few of my ending tricks). If on the other hand I listen, and think, "Man I would be LOVING this right now!!" I play on, happily dismissing any instinct to "not play too long" as a minor slip in confidence, rather than any problem with the music I'm playing.
I personally use 5 looper plugins in Ableton Live. This lets me add, or change certain layers and retain others, so the piece moves, but is constant in a way too. I do a lot of improvisation live, but I also have a list of around 20-30 rehearsed songs(that often include an improv section or outro), many of which have a part a, and a part b. Generally I use two different loops for rhythms, and try to come up with two chord progressions that works over a single bassline . Using multiple loops I also get enough layers that I can play around with, mute, reverse beat slice etc. This gives the sense of arrangement, when really it's a lot of muting and fading and beatslicing of the same 5 loops. The result is the following:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/udzrhm  The Ones(original)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/u9d6zj    Fallin(De La Soul/Teenage Fan Club Cover)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/4xd156   Book Of Right On(Joanna Newsom Cover)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/rk9uhn     Alef (Instrumental improv/jam)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/vcb55o    Dublike(Instrumental improv/jam)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/bz4f3g      Morning(Instrumental improv/jam)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/8i3a03      Evening(Instrumental improv/jam)

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 10:57 AM, Per Boysen <perboysen@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 6:54 PM, Ace Ovil <aovil@wfubmc.edu> wrote:
>  Anyone else on here use a similar technique?

Yes. I run the looper at the setting to "switch at cycle" and this
gives me time after having pressed NextLoop (or a direct call like
"Loop 4") to add the command Multiply before the switch happens. This
copies the recent loop's content to the new loop and well in the new
loop I replace short segments here and there, mostly slices like a 32d
note duration. Then I go back to the orignal loop and fetch a copy to
a third loop slot where I do the same procedure but a little
differently.

I started this technique on the EDP and took it with me when migrating
to Möbius that works the same in this regard. With Möbius you also
have the option of stepping back the Undo/Redo history chain, but I
like the first method better since it always lets you go back to the
orignal in just a blink.

As you are saying, the challenge is to do it without destroying the
musical material. With Mobius I use a script that lets me replace a
slice of audio in the loop with a slice of my live playing audio
stream but pitch changed one octave. When doing that I often play the
same melody that already is in the loop while substituting slices, and
the result will be a kind of granular version of the original melody
with some horrific octave jumps at odd places. Don't know if it sounds
good to others but it is a lot of fun!

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se