Re: Enver Izmailov (guitarist)

hello Andy,

here are some simple techniques I use which modify the timbre slightky or
dramtically :

- tap way above the fret and produce a buzz (especially on bass strings or
low treble strings)
- tap right on the fret and get a muted tone
- tap below the fret and get a very muted and slighltly out of tune tone

Of course you can bend and tone varies a lot with the way you sustain the
note, and I am not talking vibrato or tememolo, more what fretless players
do when sustaining. I am looking forward to receiveing a fretless NS stick
which should add a new variety of tone building techniques to my palette

- use another finger of the same hand, or for more flexibility of the
other hand, to damp strings and produce various overtones, the overtone
structure depending on where the damping is happening as you well know
and, this effect will vary a lot depending on how lighlty or heavily you
damp

I cannot produce examples because I am away from home and cannot add sound
files or links to them, but I will when I have the access

All of this becomes very dramatic and sensitive when you start using tube
preamps and amps on both sides, just like on guitar and bass
The stick is very dynamic and has high impedance output, especially with
the PASV4 pick ups I have, so you need to find matching preamps.

The pick ups themselves offer a very dramatic tonal selection...

i hope this gives you an idea of what I mean and I will try to illustrate
when i get a chance