Re: Enver Izmailov (stick-warr gtr)

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 8:58 PM, mark francombe <mark@markfrancombe.com>
wrote:
> and it took me a lot of
>>
>> research to find out that they can actually sound in a different way.
>>

> like.. have you tried it thru a really evil fuzz box? Im sure a stick
>would
> sound like a mono synth..?
>
> Gos Im jealous Per.. wish I could afford one... Im almost in my car..
>about
> 7 hours to Stockholm right? How long have you had it, whats the learning
> curve?

WOT!!! You can afford a car but not a stick! Strange priorities  ;-)

YOu are totally wrong about the stick sounding like a mono synth if
played through an evil fuzz. I did exactly that until 4 a.m.
yesterday. If playing on the melody side it simply sounds like a
tapped baritone guitar through an evil fuzz box and if done on the
bass side it sounds like a tapped bass through an evil fuzz box. For
"evil sounds" I still use my Casio electric guitar with humbuckers
tuned down to B with ultra thick strings. Nothing gets that "throbby".
I think the stick sounds more mellow (at least the way I prefer to
tweak the sound), a bit like jazz guitarist John Abercrombie but if he
should have used a "baritone stratocaster". Nerdy axe talk, but that's
as close I can describe it.

The learning curve is simple. You simply push down a string and it
sounds. That is if you already know music, i.e. what notes to play in
order to create something you hear in your head. I've seen a lot of
people learning new instruments "the wrong way", buy building a mental
picture of where to pusch down strings/buttons/keys in order to make
certain melodies. If you do this mistake on the stick I guess you
would lose interest and sell it pretty quickly, because the tonal
range is so wide you kind of get lost within too waste opportunities.

It seems drummers and piano players already have learned some of the
multitasking skill that is needed to *play* a stick. For guitar
players it is more difficult, especially on the mental side. It really
is not a guitar.

Get into your car and drive down to Stockholm! You will arrive about
noon tomorrow and then we can enjoy a stick breakfast together!

Per