Re: Enver Izmailov (guitarist)

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 8:57 PM,  <antonyhequet@yahoo.com> wrote:
> yes Per, it's wonderfull to play a two handed percussion instrument that
>had two separate voices (preamp/effetcs/amplifier), sometimes I feel like
>i am two people playing together:)

It just came to my mind that it in some way reminds of a grand piano.
Sound-wise. The fifths based tuning of the bass side strings offers
wider voicing of chords than you can reach on a piano, or guitar, and
that is a typical sound criterium of a stick - or similar Warr. First
time I picked it up I was amazed of how it sort of "played itself".
Very good intonation and the chords sound deep and rich, like a grand
piano. I'm very impressed with the STick but I must say that my Stick
is modern, I do not have any experience with the Sticks built before
2004 (I think it was) when the modern fret rails were introduced. They
give a better precision than the previous rods for sliding and bending
and as your fingertips feel the high frets you won't need to look at
the fretboard much. Actually, you don't need to look much at all on
the fretboard because the tuning is all logical - no odd exception as
the G/B string in guitar tuning. Also, the melody side tuned in
fourths and the bass side tuned in fifths mirror each other with
lowest tuned strings at the center of the fretboards.
Mathematically/geometrically this means that the same pattern shapes
(for which frets to push on) by both hands result in the same notes
but at different octaves. If you play a scale run with both hands
simultaneously, mirrored, it will produce two melody lines of the same
notes but in different octaves where the bass side goes from low notes
to high and the melody side goes from high notes to low. At some part
of these two runs they hit the same note in the same octave but then
they part again. Almost like magic, but it is just logic.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se
www.perboysen.com