Re: OT: Free Jazz/Avant-Garde Guitar/Bass/Drum Trios

At 8:11 PM -0600 3/28/10, Kris Hartung wrote:
>I'm doing music research for a new project I'm putting together. I
>need to construct an audio study of free jazz and/or avant-garde
>guitar/bass/drum trios...the more obscure the better.

What say you about Fred Frith?  I know that he worked with
guitar/bass/drums when he teamed up with Bill Laswell and Fred Maher
to form Massacre in the early 80's.  Their debut effort (and only
album with this line-up) "Killing Time" is brilliant.  But while
they're quite "avant", it's pretty heavy so might not really qualify
as "jazz".  I understand that Frith and Laswell reformed Massacre in
the late '90's sans Maher -- drummer Charles Hayward replacing him --
but I've not heard any material (no pun intended) from the later
lineup.

Still, the guy has worked with, like, a billion other people in the
avant/experimental scene.  He has to have done more traditional
avant-jazz with guitar/bass/drums *somewhere*, eh...?

        --m.
--
_____
"when you think your dreams are shattered, it's time to dream new dreams"