[Fwd: Re: Steinberg Cubase for Audio Recording and Mixing]

Kris Hartung schrieb:
> Any opinions on Steinberg's Cubase for recording and mixing audio? I
> see it is about $300 and wonder if it is worth it. I'll be using my
> RME Fireface 400 as the interface. Anyway to get a demo version?
I have an opinion: I like it.

Note that there are (I think) three different versions: Cubase, Cubase
Studio and Cubase Essential (in decreasing order of complexity and
price), which are updateable. Plus, some gear manufacturers deliever
some of their gear with a limited version (which is upgradeable) - I
remember that when I decided to get Cubase some years ago, getting a
Behringer UMX61 keyboard (which came with Cubase LE, as it was called
then) and upgrading that to Cubase gave me the keyboard and Cubase - for
about €100 less than the normal Cubase price ;).

Cubase is (I believe) the oldest MIDI/audio sequencer still around,
which you may see as a plus or as a minus. Still, when working natively
on a Windows platform, there's nothing that can beat Cubase for what it
does (due to the unavailability of Logic for that platform). Depending
on what it is what you want to do, you may be better off with something
more simple (and cheap).

As for a demo: http://www.steinberg.net/index.php?id=2772&L=1

What I especially like of the relatively new features is the integration
of hardware (synths/effects) into the production flow (only in the big
version) and the very powerful control room feature (also, big version
only). There's also very powerful score capabilities...any more specific
questions?

Rainer

--
http://moinlabs.de