Re: Tone control OT

(minor ramble ahead...)

as some one that has built several tube guitar amps from scratch, and wired
up five or six guitars over the years; you *can* recognise the genral sound
qualities of different capacitors from each other as you get exposed to
them
in different circuits... I'd say most any of you folks that can handle a
soldering iron and build a simple effects box kit could try substituting
different types of caps (of the same electrical value) in either a pedal or
a guitar tone control and get a feel for it pretty quick.

It's like most anything in a musical circuit, be it an amp, a pedal, a
microphone, whatever... Everything makes a difference at some level. If you
pay enough attention to it over time, you'll notice subtle differences. The
flip side to that is that, everything matters when making a comparison...
So
if you change out the tone cap on your Telecaster, use the same cable, same
amp and same settings when you try it out again. Better yet, record a
before
and after clip with everything the same except the cap, and listen
carefully...

:-)

Personally, I dont obsess over much of this. I formed a general opinion a
while back, and it colors my choice of caps in a few places in a circuit
*if
I'm building something new from the ground up*, otherwise I dont bother.
The
main thing I've learned over the years is that your choice of speaker has
the largest effect over your sound after the choice of instrument and
amplifier. And the relative humidity in your environment, as well as the
variations in wall voltage can make something that sounded great one day
sound very ho-hum on another day.

As you were...

:-)

Dave