Re: OT: Recording Drums - gear selection

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 10:02 PM, Rainer Straschill
<moinsound@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I think we all know about that minimum stereo config (and stereo is a
> requirement for me) of 1xBD, 1xSD and 2xOH...which still gives us 5 free
> channels (in the "small" setup): Toms with the Opus87? Additional
>bassdrum
> e901

I can't tell much about the mics because I have mostly been on the
musician side whenever a drum set have  been captured and I don't walk
around the studio to check on drum mics when I'm supposed to play my
guitar part and get out of there. But I have been given a lot of band
recordings to mix and my experience with that is you should use those
extra channels to get close-ups of the toms. That may come in handy in
the mix since it allows you to pick out just a defined frequency band
of the toms for reverb processing or other. Generally I'm finding my
drum mixing often starts by the overhead stereo mics and then I add in
certain frequency bands from the closely positioned mics if needed.

The SM57 is good for the snare, BTW. That's a classic I have not been
able to escape ;-)

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se