Re: OT: Recording Drums - gear selection: status report

Rainer, just to be clear, I would go with a stereo pair if possible to capture most of the sound of the kit, but if the only available stereo pair were two C1000s's, I'd rather have a single, higher quality mic in it's place. I actually suggested working with the ribbon mics for overheads  (I think there was a  pair of those as well in the mic locker), but those can be more challenging to work with in this context due to the figure 8 pattern. But the result would be worth it. Rick suggested you can EQ out the harshness of the C1000s when used as overheads, but I personally never had much luck with that. YMMV.

I read in TapeOp there's a guy doing mods to the C1000s that don't cost a lot of money and supposedly take all that harshness away. Of course after that, it may not sound so good on snare or guitar amp! :)