Re: OT: Recording Drums - gear selection: status report

Interesting...I'd never heard of a ribbon mic with anything other than a figure-8. Cool!

Although it's too bad, then, that you can't use them in a Blumlein pair on the overheads, because you can get stunning results: http://www.wikirecording.org/Blumlein_Microphone_Technique

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 3:15 PM, Rainer Straschill <moinsound@googlemail.com> wrote:
George Ludwig schrieb:

Rainer, just to be clear, I would go with a stereo pair if possible to capture most of the sound of the kit, but if the only available stereo pair were two C1000s's, I'd rather have a single, higher quality mic in it's place. I actually suggested working with the ribbon mics for overheads  (I think there was a  pair of those as well in the mic locker), but those can be more challenging to work with in this context due to the figure 8 pattern. But the result would be worth it. Rick suggested you can EQ out the harshness of the C1000s when used as overheads, but I personally never had much luck with that. YMMV.
And also, just to be clear ;)

1. Yes, wouldn't want to use the C1000Ss for overheads, too. The hottest candidate are the C4 in an omni wide A/B, but coincidental or ORTF with 2 NT-1A are also an option.
2. The ribbons, as I mentioned, are not figure-eight, they are hypercardioid: http://bit.ly/bJSV6f. My rule-of-thumb experience: omni sounds most natural (after all, aren't our ears pressure receivers?), next is figure-eight, everything more complex as cardioid is a problem...

        Rainer

--
http://moinlabs.de
Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/moinlabs