OT: New MBP... or not? (Firewire still necessary?)

Couple things that might relate:

I've heard rumors that Firewire is going to be phased out from Macs.
I don't know how valid it is, but I"ve heard it from multiple sources.

I use both firewire 400 and USB 2.0 and I find them to be roughly
equivalent.
I know the specs differ, but practically speaking, I can't tell the
difference in speed.

I've also heard rumors that USB 3.0 is going to be mind boggling.

Again, I don't know for sure, but I've heard it from several sources.