Re: electronica inspired loops...

My list:

I also love Fennesz , but have the opposite thing about his guitar... I like that its guitar, but when I saw him live, it kind of lost the magic of the sounds knowing that all it was was a boring old gee-tar... ha ha!
Im very not up to date Im afraid, but Im in a HUGE Soviet France phase right now (or :zoviet*france: as they prefer to be spelt) Pixel are great, on Raster Noton for theyre micro clicky buzzy  techno... Alog have been mentioned, they are phenomenal, I saw them live recently... wonderful home made instruments and incredible use of dj digital disks (He´s using these records that put out time code for scratching mp3s, but HEAVILY abusing it.. dropping it on the album on EVERY beat for example)... Múm from Iceland (poor bastards) are FANTASTIC... cute and pretty for a change... in the same vein, If you can find Midori Hirano Poet at the Piano, I also strongly recommend. I still like my old skool... Amm, Keith Rowe is electronica in my book, some call it Jazz, but then I hit them...  or Smegma for the hippy noise thang. (getting a bit wide of the electronca tag now) I have to mention the early LoFi Caberet Voltaire (just because Nag nag nag is my favorite track ever) Everyone seems to like Aphex, whom I tired of ages ago, I prefer the harsher and much ruder Venetian Snares , for full on hardcore industrial break drill and bass noise... Does electronica have to sound dry and electronic and have no vocals, cos Im loving the Person Pitch album by Panda Bear  which is kind of  the Beachboys in an old deserted factory testing out the reverb.

Really... what is electronica?

I certainly DONT think it means dance oriented.. Im sure that puts it squarely into one of those other genres like house techno grime of more recently Dub Step (Dub Step anyone.. now thats come cool shit... if Im using the correct hiop vernacular???) No, I think of electronica as being that "more intelligent" Art oriented electronic music, but maybe doesnt quite include that big expansive expensive electronic music like Tang or Klause, and probebly excludes Eno, only because he's also counted as ambient... maybe electronica has some more esoteric sounds, like distortion and warp effects and maybe is not so sure about being beautiful...

anyway... nice thread as Ive just book marked everyone's stuff i haven't heard of in a "rainy day" file...

Mark

--
www.markfrancombe.com
www.ordoabkhao.com