Re: syncing in mainstage

Hi Sim,

I have no idea why Delay Designer doesn't pick up the host tempo.
Could it be that its delay is set to an odd length? I mean so that it
actually is "synced" but you will only notice every fifty sixth
beat... or something...?

Throwing in some personal Augustus Loop experiences here while waiting
for OS to chime in:

At least that can be the case with the Agustus Loopers. They are
designed as a tape loop simulation and tape never sync exactly right
on. I once built a functional duplicate of an EDP in Ableton Live by
using Augstus Looper instances and that's when I discovered this
"organic" quality of AL. But that's what I like with it! :-)  You can
get some "loop windowing" happening by tap dancing the Reverse or
Triplet button and also by changing Beat Divisor (in AL's "Sync"
area). That's very cool but definitely "not syncing".

The way I have found AL to sync fine is to use its "Freeze Loop"
function to sort of "open input to the instantly recording virtual
tape loop". This is syncing fine for me. But then I tend to change the
content of the loops quite often. If intending to make a loop and keep
it running for long time, eventually layering some overdubs, the
Loopback plug-in is better choice. I've used both the Playback and the
Loopback with a live band and then it worked fine.  Even to set the
tempo for Mainstage by catching a loop in one of the Loopback
plug-ins.

I suggest you try out all optional AL Sync settings and see what
happens! There is also the OSC trick to sync a bunch of AL instances
very hard, but I have not tried that yet (only noticed it when
scanning the manual). Oh, and don't forget to click the "Prefs" button
to check out those settings; for example having "Rounded Tempo"
activated would cripple host sync capabilities of the plug-in.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se
www.perboysen.com