Re: Mixers - Inquiry

Hi Steven,
I currently use a Motu Ultralite mk3 both live and in the studio for
looping. For me, flexible routing options and stereo effect
send/returns are key features in my looping rig. The nice thing about
the Motu's is that you can setup stereo effect send/returns most
analog mixers in this price range do not support. You can save up to
16 routing configurations in memory usign the Cuemix software, but you
can use also it standalone without a computer. In addition to that,
the latest Ultralite mk3 hybrid supports both Firewire and USB2.

In terms of the overall sound quality, imo the Motu's offer good value
for money. If you want something better, you might take a look at
RME's and Apogee's, they have better pre-amps according to reviews. I
have  tested an Apogee, and when using mic's and acoustic instruments,
you will notice. Which is not a surprise when you look at the price
tag btw ;-)

Regarding Mackie, I don't have experience with the Mackie Onyx myself
(only the VLZ series) but like Reyn said, they have a very good
reputation. So if you can live with mono aux sends, they are very good
choice.

--
Sjaak Overgaauw
http://premonitionfactory.com/