Guitar Compression was :Re: ...reflections...

I went through a period of several years when I was anti compression
and would not use it for all the reasons  previously mentioned here.
  Oh it destroys dynamics, and  makes all of the levels the same yada
yada rabble rabble, rabble. The reality was that I was using
compression in the wrong way and yes it was robbing me of dynamics.
These days I won't leave home without it. Why?  because like it or not
we live in a digital freaking world and digital devices are not very
forgiving when overloaded, I include in this group any DSP or Looper
or DAW for that matter. When I was first using compression, an MXR red
comp way back when I was making the mistake of jacking up the
sensitivity to the point of rendering everything completely over
compressed and lacking in dynamic range. That god awful pumping effect
that cheap compressors do and even good ones when not set up
correctly. These days I use a keeley on the front end of my signal
more as a slight  boost and signal massage, with very little
sensitivity, and with the internal trims set for the highest
headroom .  If recording I'll also use a Carl martin at the end of my
signal chain for some discreet limiting, and I'll also use a UA plugin
LA-2 sim when recording. I don't get any radical dynamic limitation, I
still have a dramatic degree of quite to loud dynamics, and I have the
added benefit of the limiting that helps avoid clipping other things
in the chain not to mention a bit less need. to change  my gain stages
when switching between instruments with widely different out put levels.
  I do agree that over compression sucks, or rather pumps, and I'm not
particularly fond of the Adrian Belew/ Jamie West Oram, 80's
compression aesthetic  where all dynamic range is killed, but I do
feel that compression when used sparingly is a good thing. with that
in mind the M-9 does a very decent LA-2 compression model  they call
tube compressor. BTW I went to try the pigtronix philosophers tone and
my first impression was that it was not capable of subtle compression,
and the grit control was completely useless to me. Something I'm
missing or maybe it was a crappy amp they had me plugged in to. Any
thoughts , I sure do love its compact size and its gotten great
reviews. any feed back? does it have internal trims like the Keeley to
reduce its sensitivity.
  Thanks
  Bill