Re: Bowing Stick - practice session clip shared

At 4:34 PM +0200 7/4/10, Per Boysen wrote:
>On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 3:26 PM, Ricky Graham
><rickygrahammusic@gmail.com> wrote:
>>  It makes me wonder if some sort of sustain pick-up could be devised
>for the
>>  chapman stick, if not already?
>
>Not that I'm aware of. I tried my e-bow with the Stick but it almost
>doesn't work at all. Maybe that en e-bow doesn't work with the PASV-4
>Stick pick-up? (addressing Johannes here as well).

Actually, before my 10-string Polycarbonate was ripped-off a while
back, I had my Sustainiac Model-C hooked up to it.  Sounded
fantastic!  It works especially well with any artificial material, I
think, because of the resonant characteristics (that should hold true
for your Bamboo, Per; get yer Sustainiac magnets fixed ;).  Tried it
on some of my other Sticks, and the results were good, but not as
inspiring.

With my Polycarb, the whole damn thing *felt* electric.  Just tapping
a string was inspiring as you could physically feel it close the
feedback loop.

>But I must say I fail to see much point in using a sustaining pickup
>with a Stick? Since the neck and strings are so long it already has an
>almost too long sustain. Almost like a grand piano.

Works well if you want to get into organ/synth territory without
actually going MIDI.  Many of the sounds reminded me of what I've
heard from the wet effect from EHX's Hog & Pog (sans the
harmonization, of course) with a little bit of Ebow growl thrown in
for good measure.

>Maybe related: There are a special Roland GK MIDI pickup thingy that
>has been adapted for the Stick's fretboard width.

I've got a GK-3 installed on the Melody side of my 12-String Grand.
Works great for VG stuff; not-so-great for MIDI.  In particular,
there are some tricks people put together for the VG-99 to allow it
to emulate a Moog Guitar.  Doesn't sound exactly the same as the
Moog, but pretty close.  These patches would work fine for simulating
that "Infinite Guitar" sound on a Stick, though.

        --m.
--
_____
"beyond this window, night is shuddering and the earth grinds to a halt