Re: recording methods - what's your approach?

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 12:52 PM,  <looppool@cruzio.com> wrote:
> This is, of course, not the only way to use looping (Matthias Grob's
> beautiful pieces that use
> constant use of feedback to morph his loops in a seemless ambient way
> comes to mind or Sjaak Overgauw or Fabio Anile's gorgeous approaches to
> ambient live looping) but it really appeals
> to me.

Gareth,
I've recorded my debut album using Mainstage as the looper/effects
host and for direct to stereo recordings, as described by Per. All
tracks on the album are snippets of live improv recordings of 20-30
minutes. I added a fade-in and fade-out, Dirk Serries did the
mastering and that was the whole process.

Key element for me was a good preparation: sound design, test
recordings, a balanced mix, knowing how to use your midi controllers
and loopers, in my case constant use of feedback as Rick described.
This was of great importance during creative process and resulted in
pure and spontaneous recordings but also good sounding recordings
which didn't require mixing. In addition to that, I don't try to think
about the fact that I'm making recordings when I push the record
button. Don't put too much pressure on yourself, inspiration is always
there as long as you have patience. I think the trick is to record
"the magic", "catch flow", enjoy the moment of this magic and not to
worry about a track for an album. I know that's difficult but you can
do it if you practise and believe in yourself. It took me years, and I
just discovered the surface, so please give yourself a little time :)

A good example of a pure live improv track I recorded as described is
the title track "59 Airplanes waiting for New York". You can listen to
it online at
http://music.premonitionfactory.com/track/59-airplanes-waiting-for-new-york

--
Sjaak Overgaauw