Re: varispeed delays

It was a joke!

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 7:39 PM, Rainer Straschill <moinsound@googlemail.com> wrote:
mark francombe schrieb:
Oh and send me one hundred dollars.. anyone out there who is an eclipse owner is a rich bastard who obviously has some dodgy illegal business with a guilt complex and some cash to spare...
I'd like to comment on the Eclipse from a "bang for the buck" standpoint:

The thing was introduced around 2000 (about the same time as TC Electronic's FireworX), and started in a price range of about (converted to) €2300 if I remember correctly (with the TC being slightly cheaper at €2000). I was very lucky to buy mine second-hand for slightly below €1k in 2003.

The TC has since been sold with a series of price reductions, over €1500, 1000 and 700 Euros until production was stopped.
The Eclipse is still sold at around €2k street price. Why is that?

One of the reasons is in my opinion that Eventide has over the years been offering free software updates (current SW version is 4.01, released just in September last year) which included substantial functional improvements, bugfixing and new patches, while all you got from TC was one update which was nothing but new presets.

The latest version 4 update included, among numerous other things, the algorithms of both the Modfactor and Timefactor stompboxes, which together would cost you nearly €900.

And I didn't even mention that it is a *really* great processor.

I accept the fact that some people do not want or are not able to afford it...hey, I'm not able to afford a Bösendorfer Imperial 290 (or even a Yamaha C7), much less the house I'd need to let it shine acoustically - but I wouldn't go on critizising those who make the decision of getting one.

Rainer

--
http://moinlabs.de
Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/moinlabs