Re: Drum machine

Actually, I don't know much about drum machines when it comes to
making rhythms with them. When I try to make rhythms with mine, there
are a few ways it comes up short. I think a software drum machine (or
an MPC sampler) would be superior in this regard.

Very recently I've been experimenting with building rhythms from
scratch in my DR-770 in real time during performances. The walls I'm
hitting are:
--I'd like to use multiple "kits" at the same time (more than 32
distinct sounds per rhythm)
--Every time you hit "record" on a currently blank rhythm, the drum
machine "forgets" what drum kit you had it on. So you have to waste 10
seconds or so dialing it up again.
--The drum machine assigns a maximum amount of memory PER RHYTHM. So
if you have more than a certain # of hits, it stops entirely and says
"Pattern full!". This really sucks in the middle of a show. Especially
for someone who likes to build in 12 or 16 beat measures.

Still there is some good stuff. There's a "beat correction" option
that fixes your timing errors - I like it as a compositional tool.
Also, it's fun to have a rhythm built, and then scan through different
kits as it plays.

For performances, I usually recommend AGAINST using a drum machine.
I've yet to see a show with a drum machine playing pre-composed
rhythms, where I didn't think the show would've been better without
the drum machine. (No beats is better than canned beats.) The
exceptions are building the rhythms from scratch in the show, or
chopping them up in real time as part of the performance.

--
Matt Davignon
mattdavignon@gmail.com