Re: Software vs Hardware loopers

On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 4:56 PM, Mark Showalter
<folkstone57@operamail.com> wrote:
> If all your backing parts/loops are in a computer & the computer goes
>out.....

Play something acoustic, tell a story or go to the bar and let someone
else play a longer set.
(This of course doesn't apply for commercial commissions where the
budget may allow you to bring a back-up system.)

I started perform with computers in 2004 and I still haven't had a bad
computer emergency during a concert. But I've had lots of strings
breaking on me, mechanic fuck-ups in flute or saxophone and even at
one gig an EDP system crash. Not to forget low battery problems with
stomp boxes ;-)  To me a laptop feels more safe. Two is totally safe.
You can stuff them away on stage so the are not visible if you like.

Related info:
At the latest NiN tour they had two identical computer systems running
the same Mainstage setup. Clones. One connected with audio outputs to
the PA, but both systems fully running in sync and receiving the same
external MIDI control data. If shit happens the engineer just needs to
flip a switch to put out the second system's audio output into the PA.
Rarely an audio drop-out as far as the audience is concerned.

Per