Re: Dancing in the Little Giant on FCB graveyard :-)

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 11:15 PM, mark francombe <mark@markfrancombe.com>
wrote:
> Tell me please the secret of having your laptop set-up KNOW your setting
>the
> next time you try and have a go...

To me it is not "a laptop setup". It is "my setup". In fact the same
live looping setup I have been using since around 2000. What I mean by
"set up" is "my palette of real-time audio processing commands" and
they have rarely changed in ten years. I stick with the same interface
and that interface is mental, an idea about live audio processing
possible with a looper. Developed once and then rarely changed at all,
although refined in detail over time.

But if you look at it from a technical view the whole shebang has of
course changed - but not my way of playing it. First audio was caught
and processed insed an EDP and an Electrixpro Repeater, mixed with a
Lexicon reverb on a bus and an AKAI MFC42 analog filterbank. Sometimes
an Alesis MMT8 MIDI sequencer were used to feed MIDI sequences to
induce delirium in the loopers but when this box packed up it was
replaced by a wimpy old Powerbook laptop. By 2005 I noticed all my
sixty-something looping and processing commands could be handled by
Mobius, a new PC freeware. So I picked up a PC lappy and stored away
the boxes, but I never changed MY SETUP! But instead of the Alesis
MIDI sequencer, or a slaved Ableton Live MIDI Clips session, I made
scripts in Mobius to achieve the dynamic processing (different systems
of manipulating looper speed while all in overdub mode, and some other
goodies). For two years I used a TC Electronics FireworX in front of
the Mobius lappy - for live sound processing pre looper - but when
Mobius got available as a plugin I could throw that task at a host
application instead (Bidule, Mainstage).

So you see, there's no secret and nothing has ever changed. Well,
hopefully the music is changing ;-)
I never changed my Behringer FCB1010 bank layout i ten years. Now I
will need to make some adjustments because the Gordious pedalboard
doesn't seem to allow the same layout of "Bank A of MIDI Note number 1
to 10, Bank B of MIDI Note number 11 to 20, Bank C of MIDI Note 21 to
30 etc etc. I use 70 foot commands and they have almost never changed.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se
www.perboysen.com