Re: OT: portable audio recorders

On Sep 3, 2010, at 4:05 PM, Matt Davignon wrote:

The H2's ability to turn down the input level really sucks. For
several shows, I tried to turn down the "Recording Level" on the
device. I wound up with recordings that were very quiet, but with just
as much clipping.

The Zoom H4 has a limiter setting as part of the software.
When activated, I can put the mic sensitivity switch at the middle setting, and place the H4 right next to the amp speaker at fairly strong volume and get quite decent recording with no clipping at all.
I'm surprised they  removed that option for the H2.

I just sprung for the Zoom H1, thought it might be good for a bit of traveling I have to do. Low budget so I don't have to baby it. Might tend to have the same issue as the H2, not much range of control for adjusting sensitivity and levels.

Maybe for many situations mic sensitivity needs to be set low, then adjust the recording level to 75% or so and expect to have to add gain later to the recorded file.

regards

BobC