Re: POLYRHYTHMIC COUNTERPOINT

  Per wrote:
Very interesting topic! :-)) Ten years ago I was only comfortable,
playing (and imagining - "playing in the mind") the times 4/4 and
6/8., I knew Dave Brubeck's classic Take Five and Paul McCartney's
Bond, theme Live and Let Die with the riff in 5/4, but I had not
played, hands-on in 5/4. Very much thanks to Rick's inspiration I
started, learning 5/4 by tapping one hand's fingers, thumb indicating
each, bar's downbeat, and thinking improvised melodies that fit in
with that, groove. With that method it took a day to incorporate it
with my usual, musical reactions so I could move on to using real
instruments to play, in 5/4. The turning point is to get comfortable
with the new groove, so you won't have to think about it when
improvising., If looping with an EDP or with Mobius there is a good
and fun exercise, you can do. Set the "8ths Per Cycle" to 5 or 10 and
start doing, "Substitue Stuff" (replacing quantized slices of the loop
with your
live audio input). I prefere 10 for playing in 5/4 because that makes,
you substitute 8th notes - if one Cycle equals one bar, that is., In
my looping setup I keep a bunch of fast commands to switch "8ths
Per Cycle" for the particular reason of moving between different time,
measures when improvising. But I restrict my options to these five:, -
"8ths Per Cycle = 16" for playing normal four-on-the-floor music., -
"8ths Per Cycle = 10" for playing in 5/4., - "8ths Per Cycle = 12" for
playing in 6/8., - "8ths Per Cycle = 14" for playing in 7/8 (this one
I like very much)., - "8ths Per Cycle = 9" for playing in 9/8 (this is
pretty new to me)., For each of these five alternatives I also have a
special "fast
button" to set the grid to 64th note duration. This is for creating,
glitchy granular loops that will nevertheless lock into the odd
groove, as they evolve., 7/8 is a favorite of mine. This groove tends
to give any noise you, play a mesmerizing rhythm. A simple but very
rewarding trick. To learn, it quickly you can use the finger tapping
method and imagine each bar, as "4 fingers + 3 fingers". A different
approach to 7/8 would be "3
fingers + 4 fingers"
per

  Great points per,
  I have  been infatuated with what Quantize Replace on the
Looperlative, the equivalant function the EDP's 8th per Cycle replace
function, can do to create odd time groupings.  I have  set up my LP-1
so that each track is preset to the following  Quantize Replace
factors. trk 1 is a value of 16  , trk 2 is a value of 12 , trk3 is
9,  trk 4 is 16 again, trk5 is 10, track 6 is 12 again, trk 7 is 7 and
trk 8 is 16, once again.  Tracks 1,  4 and 8 are for doing 16th note
replaces which I use the most for 4/4 based time signatures,  but I
have been delving in to 9, 10 and 7 beat divisions as well as 12 beats
which is one of my favorites for 3/4 6/8 and 12/8 grooves. Combing
them can work as well, example: a 16 beat division against a 9 beat,
but more than two beat divisions at athe same time can get cluttered
really quickly. its also fun to have non synced loops of various
lengths and time signature playing together but requires a higher
degree of skill and awareness of the one whereas Quantize Replace can
get even people without much odd meter experience taka taka taka
takita -ing in no time.
  Realy fun stuff, and stimulating and challenging as well. its one
thing to play melodically and fluidly over 4/4 and another thing to do
the same thing over a 9/8 without sounding herky jerky.
Bill