iMac for Recording

Hello:

I was wondering about using an iMac (3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB memory * 500GB hard drive) version for recording. The machine only has one drive. Is it kosher to record on the iMac with only one drive. In the PC world, I've always used two drives: one with the o/s, software, et al and another for the actual recordings. Plus, I've always tried to stay with hard drives that have a rotational speed of 7200.

Will I have issues with the iMac using just the one hard drive? I assume that I could always, at least, utilize an external USB or Firewire-connected drive if necessary. And, am I hanging onto an outdated parameter as far as the rotational speed is concerned? THX!

Oh, I don't really need that many channels of audio.

Regards, Paul