Re: Polymeter - Polyrhythm - Changing meter (was POLYRHYTHMIC COUNTERPOINT)

mark francombe wrote:

mark francombe wrote:

> Nearly too much, but not quite... can someone explain to me what 4:4 is
> in comparison to 4:8? I always thought that the second number denoted a
> crotchet, or a "beat". so I understand that 4:8 is quicker beats (er..
> minims?)

4=crotchet
8=quavers

> If I play a "four on the floor" guitar chug, Im playing 4:4.. if I then
> just play double speed, has the song changed meter to 4:8.. I think
>not...?

Essentially the time signature of a piece is the most
convenient one for writing it down in notation.

If the notation changes from 4/4 to 4/8 then the bar lines
go by twice as fast, but the music doesn't have to change at all.

> And what of when people write 16:5.. ist there such a thing as a 5 as
> the second number..

usually this means that the person telling you has absolutely
no idea what they're talking about.

It makes no sense at all to use 16/5 if that's the only time sig in the
piece.
I might convey something in terms of describing how one rhythm relates to
another.
If you were playing 16/5 over a 4/4 beat (er..just supposin')
then you'd be playing with a pulse that had 5 beats within
the 4/4 bar.
It'd feel like you were falling behind by 1 of
your beats for every 3 bars of 4/4.
Then after 5 of your bars suddenly you'd be "on the one" again.

Zappa did something a bit similar on Joe's Garage, where he
had recordings of live guitar solos that he matched up with newly
recorded backing.

>what the f*** is that?

you mean *u**

andy

Doomsnight - Azzido da Bass - Timo Maas edit
a UK hit single where the waaaaaarp-waaaaaarp-waaaaaarp
noise on synth repeats 5 times in 2 bars of 4/4.