Re: Dissing the Repeater's Varispeed function

Mark said:

I however just used it for that "one trick wonder" of the slow down at end of gig.
Thats the cliché that I was referring to...

 I know what you mean mark and I felt the same way,  it was definitely good for a few laughs though particularly when accompanied by slow-mo body language :-)The Repeater was my main looper for a number of years, and I used that trick initially for a while before discovering mapping its midi notes to an FCB1010 and also triggering it from a roland  GR20 midi guitar with a programmable arpeggiator that allowed me to create arpeggios of any rhythm or tempo out of simple drone notes I looped on the repeater. This fascinated me as it allowed me to create textures that I would never be able to create trying to play those same figures on a midi guitar in real time. Just about the time I was feeling like I had run my course with that technique and gotten in to a rut by over using it, along came the Looperlative.  For a while I missed having that technique to use but I wasn't missing dragging along my guitar synth and repeater and the necessary midi patch bay to make them all behave together. A little over a year ago I go I started to explore the quantize replace function in the LP-2 that is similar to and inspired by the sus 8th command on the echoplex,  which I can't stop using.  Rick had been responsible for getting Bob to implement the feature, and at first his description of what it did didn't quite register  with me as to how powerful it can be. Now I'm all about the technique and I need to be careful as to not start over using it because it really is quite extraordinary sounding and a great springboard for improvisation. I've got different tracks set up for different beat subdivisions so I can use this technique to create rhythmic note sequences in  several different time signatures and get a similar percolating result to what i once did with the Repeater.  One thing about QR I really like is  that there is an innate randomness to what the end result will be, I may use the same note choices played in the same order while hitting my quantize replace switch but the results will always vary slightly.  like any looping technique that is of the looper as instrument variety,  the quantize replace technique is quite startling to the listener when first encountered, just like the slow down trick, having a bunch of these techniques to call on is great, but using one over and over again can start to seem like the guy who couldn't stop twirling his microphone.

Im sorry for getting exited by a new product guys. Especially as its hardware, which I am personally more drawn to. I very much admire this companies previous products, am exited to see what this might be, and far from suggesting some features that will just make it similar to what I currently like and am into, I am psyched to wait and see what new and groovy options these guys have thought up that doesn't fit the current looper mold. I dont want another repeater, or a hardware mobius.

Mark
 Hey Mark, their not hating the player their hating  the game. I'm also tired of the over hyping of new products and claims of being the best but I'm also excited about any new looping product coming out particularly  if it does new things as well as  things  I want it to do.
 Bill