Re: Carrying instruments on airplanes - this is cool and very relevant!

I've been through the mill with this and think about it every time.  I've never had anything broken thankfully but have had twice now instruments not make the plane.  Last year was the worst going to Y2K.  My oud and guitar neither I could get on board Virgin with did not make the flight out of JFK though this was not the only issue.  They were delivered to me the next day.  The year before one instrument didn't make Jet Blue but came in later and actually made the show that evening.  I will say despite whatever negligence in missing the initial flight each airline was hospitable getting it to me as described.

I suspect that the gig of a baggage handler is not easy to play devil's advocate here but don't get me wrong I've had plenty of angst about this and lots of arguments leading to unnecessary tension.  I don't see this improving honestly not to be negative I just think it's part of the 'trip'.  I saw a whole similar attempt by the NAMM All Star Guitars lady I can't think of.  I just think with profits down and general decline in service under their own stress that the last thing the airlines will do is be benevolent to musicians but again not to be negative.  It's worth a try.

Jim

On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 10:47 AM, Gareth Whittock <buddhamachine@live.co.uk> wrote:

 > I hate those f*cking baggage handlers. I've signed the petition;

That's a good point - why don't they just sack em when they're caught throwing, (literally), expensive equipment and instruments around.
They're baggage handlers - not baggage chuckers.
There are some appalling stories of people picking up damaged instruments after this sort of treatment.

Still, peace

From Brooklyn To Glindran, a new World/Free Jazz recording by Jim Goodin & Peter Thörn.  Proceeds
from the sale of this CD will benefit JDRF International.  jimgoodinpeterthorn.bandcamp.com.

www.jimgoodinmusic.com
www.chinapaintingmusic.com
woodandwiremusic.wordpress.com