M-9 looper issues

i wonder if any one has been experiencing what I have been with my
M-9's looper, I have an expression pedal set to control both the
volume and the feedback of the looper and I've been leaving the looper
at the front of the effects chain so I can change the effects post
loop. What happens is after i create a loop, if i am in overdub mode
and have the pedal off (heal down) so that the feedback is at minimum
and volume is also at minimum, when I put my toe down and bring the
loop back up , it has faded away as i want it too, but it is also full
of artifacts and is severely degraded, not just faded. It may have to
do with being if half speed, but it seems like a phenomena when you
leave the looper in overdub mode with ought adding anything new anyone
else have this issue?
  Bill