Re: making money off your music

Interesting developement, Rick. A bit frustrating too.

Similar situation here in Germany.

Iīm not a professional musician but Iīm trying to get gigs from time to
time.
This year my Duo played in churches and galleries cause it fits well with
our music. We didnīt get a guarantee at any venue. It was either
percentage
from the door or
just a donation deal (people are free to give a few Euros or not), which
is
the policy for
churches sometimes. They donīt do "Deals at the house of God" you know?
At the end of the day, we could be happy to just pay our expenses (mainly
car costs).
Itīs ok for us, but even getting jobs when you are willing to do it for
nearly no fee is difficult.
Not sure, but for me it looks like the live business is about to collapse.
Too many
musicians want to play live. Probably because for them itīs the only
possibility to sell
some CDīs (even this is quite poor when there are only 10 - 20 people
listening).
Another reason: The instrument industry generates more and more
possibilities to
make music even when you havenīt learned to play an instrument. Example:
Making
music on the laptop and other electronic devices.
Itīs ok, but does everyone need to play live?
I think thatīs different from the 70ies/80ies. Itīs a huge society of so
called -musicians all over the world.
Too many musci/concerts everywhere.

In an ideal world I would be happy to do my dayjob (not more than 20 hours
week) and
playing around 3-5 concerts a months with a fee of 50 Euro (after
expenses)
per musician per gig.
AAAHH! That could be paradise.....

Christo