Re: Rang III loop copy (multiply)question

Hiddy ho,
        While the Rang(TM) III doesn't have a multiply function in the
sense of extending a single loop, it can do
all the things you mention.

On 16-Nov-10 7:07 AM, Louie Angulo wrote:
> hi rangers:
> the rang 3 is really catching my eye now,is it possible to do a sort of
>multiply? that is copy the contents of
> loop 1 as you are recording and adding content by overdubbing and make
>loop 2 longer than the initial one?

        Record a master loop (always loop 3 on the III), then you can
record up to 3 "slave" loops which will be an
exact multiple of loop 3. If loop 3 is 5 seconds long, loops 1, 2 and 4
will be 5, 10, 15, 20 seconds. There
are two Play Style that support this behavior: Serial Sync and Sync.
     Serial Sync
        Loop 3 can play with loops 1, 2 or 4, but loops 1, 2 and 4 cannot
play with each other. Instead they play one
after the other while loop 3 plays continuously. This is designed for
playing loops that are pieces of a song
(verse, chorus, bridge...) with a rhythmic backing.
     Sync
        All 4 loops can play at the same time and are synced.

> can you define the length of loop 2 (for example loop 1 is in 4/4 and
>loop 2 is in 3/4 or is it quantized and
> dependent on the master loop? this si soemthing essential in
>songwritting and something most compact loopers lack!

        Since we employ no click prior to recording you are free, to some
extent, to mix time signatures.
Ex. 1 - Master loop 3 is 1 measure of 3/4. Loop 2 could be 3 measures of
4/4 and loop 1 is 3 measures of 5/4.
Ex. 2 - Master loop 3 is 1 measure of 2/4. Loop 2 could be 4 measures of
3/4 and loop 1 is 1 measure of 4/4.

        Using the Free Play Style you can create literally any combination
of time signatures. For example, loop 1 is
6 measures of 4/4, loop 2 is 13 measures of 3/4, loop 3 is 1 measure of
5/4, etc., etc.

        There's another way to remove the fur from this feline using the
Copy function. For example, record loop 2
and play it. Use Copy to direct the III's output to an empty loop, say
loop 4. Tapping loop 4's button starts
and stops recording, so you can make a new loop that has the content of
loop 2 repeated as many times as you
wish. And you can play your instrument to add new content at the same time
if you like.

        While a little off topic, I can do the following with the Rang(TM)
III. Record master loop 3; stack another
part on loop 3; record loop 1 so it's twice as long as 3; record loop 2 so
it's three times as long as loop 3.
Play this creation and record the whole thing to loop 4 making it, for
example, 4 times as long as loop 2.
Then erase loops 1, 2 and 3 and create additional loops to play along with
loop 4.

--

Mike Nelson
Secretary/Treasurer, Boomerang Management, Inc.

----------

"Some products make you sound better;
  Boomerang(R) Phrase Samplers makes you play better."

----------

1-800-530-4699 * 1-817-421-2762, Outside USA * 1-817-251-8509, Fax

http://www.boomerangmusic.com

Contact for repairs:
Lee Hardesty
1516 Victoria Drive