Re: ...speaking of PC...

It all depends on how much you want to spend, and how clean you need it to sound. I'd say the lowest priced acceptable setup involves something like an M-Audio Fast Trak Pro, and a multicore Pentium machine. If you know how to build your own, go that route, save the money, if not there companies that focus on audio PCs. I'd focus on those, rather than trying to get a Vaio, Dell or HP laptop that will get the job done. I currently use 2 ADK pro Audio computers, one desktop and one laptop. Both are just over 2 years old, and I just upgraded to Windows 7 64 bit, they run like a dream, quiet, uber fast and reliable.
adkproaudio.com
They're great too because if you buy hardware through them, or any software, they can pre install everything, so when your PC shows up, you just plug things in and turn them on!
Hope that heps at least get you thinking, if you post a budget, and project ideas, I'm sure folks would have fascinating software/hardware suggestions.

Rafa