Re: OT: bundle up

> antonyhequet@yahoo.com schrieb:
>> hey Per,
>>
>> how can minus 7 paralyze everything in Sweden, doesn't it get a lot
>colder
>> than that?

No, not where I live (lower mid part; Stockholm, Gothenburg...).
Sweden is a thin and long country, stretching from south to north like
Long Tall Sally.

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 3:30 PM, Rainer Straschill
<moinsound@googlemail.com> wrote:
> The paralysis doesn't come from the temperature, but from the large
>amounts
> of snow continuing to fall I'd suspect

It is actually both the snow and the temperature. Our trains are not
built to last under the freezing point so the braking system may stop
working as the temperature creeps down. That's up for a critical
public discussion here just because of the fact that Sweden is so
geographically thin and stretched out north to south with huge
differences in winter temperatures. We really shouldn't use the same
trains - or use "winter compatible" cars all over - but being a small
country there's no economic headroom for better adapting the train
system. Lots of the Swedish train cars are bought from Germany where
they don't have the same issue with a huge temperature span over the
nation territory.

Rainer, that webcam link was fun! I've been up there and it is
horrible, believe me. Seeing that video brings back some fun but not
all pleasant memories from that cold area.

Per