Re: RE: the 60's

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 12:34 AM, Rick Walker <looppool@cruzio.com> wrote:
I wouldn't see another blossoming of that kind of creativity until the early New Wave/Punk movements
in the late 70's and early 80's........even so,  there has always been a kind of cynicism that has accompanied
a lot of the musical movements

If you are using cynicism as a criticism think you are probably right, however the punk movement, of which I was a VERY young member and participator, was waaay more than cynical.. we were down-right angry.

The absolute joy and freedom that I felt as a young radical anarchist (If only I had known what that meant) was something that I cannot report as being negative in anyway. Questions we were asking, were the exact same questions that the hippy movement were asking 10 to 12 years earlier, just that we chose aggression and chaos to rebel, where the hippys used free sex and drugs. (Note I don't use the terms peace and love here... we had that too!!!)

I was also there during the birth of rave culture, although this time I was an organiser. The same feeling was there, a stepping aside from the norms of the music industry to put on festivals in fields, for free. Admittedly that culture didnt not take long to become main-stream, but for maybe 6 months from April til october was quite a ride I can tell you... there was no cynicism, just a desire to put something on that was not being allowed... And that was so DIY.. I remember going to a mansion house to pick up one of our DJ´s and a maid answering the door and taking me to this kids bedroom, where he had an Atari and a synth and a 4 track.. he wrote a track in front of my eyes in 1 hour, we er.. staggered to the car.. went to the field where my colleagues had set up the PA and within 45 minutes of the song being recorded there was 1500 people dancing to it... the track was called Killer, and later became a huge hit for Seal...

Mark

--
mark francombe
www.markfrancombe.com