Re: Re: Re: the 60's

On 7/22/64 11:59 AM, Todd Howell wrote:
> Rick,
>
> I respect your take on things and all of your experiences. They must've
>been magic at the time. Wonder years indeed.
Thanks for saying it, Todd!
> I remember very little of the era. I got a lot of memories second hand.
>I lived in fly-over country on a farm at the a** end of nowhere as a
>child. I remember watching my grandmother watching the casualty reports
>from Vietnam and fretting. Two neighbors on either side of us were there.
>One came back  in a bag and the other minus three out of four limbs.
>There were fourteen names on my own high schools Vietnam Memorial.
>
> As with all cultural movements, there were I am sure the true believers
>and the opportunist free love and drug bunch along for the ride. I don't
>see the sixties as anything else other than another failed moment in the
>cultural eons. I had friends who I met through music, including one
>brilliant solo, Piedmont Bluesman, who also served in Vietnam. He told me
>stories of hippy girls spitting on him and calling him baby-killer. There
>were alot of those stories from my veteran friends. Sorry if I can't get
>on board with a bunch of rich, free love college kids who were fortunate
>enough to have parents who could buy them deferments while the poor white
>under-class and minorities got the dirty end of the cultural and economic
>stick and got p*ssed on for it. The zeitgeist was lovely. The execution
>terrible.
Oh,  I completely agree with you.  It wasn't perfect.  In fact the
amount of naivete and self entitlement
(and you pegged it: much of it upper middle class) was really
dysfunctional and annoying......like the young
hippy chick who walked into Union Grove Music today at closing and was
put out that she couldn't just come
in and jam on a guitar that she had no intention of ever
buy.......ouch!!!).

It was a very complex time (as all times are for all people) so I was
just reminiscing about some of the
sweet things about that time.    I certainly don't have rose colored
spectacles on when thinking about it.
It was an enormously painful time, emotionally,  for me in my life at
the time to be really honest.
> As a child of the SST and Sub-Pop eighties punk movements, I became
>formed into the cynical mold that I am now. I trust no one. Not Fox News.
>Not MSNBC. Neither left nor right. Neither Wall Street or the Hippy after
>birth of an era. I admit to being an equal opportunity paranoid who
>believes that the twenty four hour cable news cycle is essentially the
>Special Olympics of bull-sh*t with a gigantic black hole of truth and
>fact at its' center.
>
> I admire and somehow envy your golden time and wish that I was a true
>believer in that way. I appreciate you sharing that and apologize to the
>list for a rant from a lurker.

No man,  what I love about this list is that everyone pipes in (or is at
least encouraged to do so).
Your perspective is no more or less valid than mine or anyone's on this
list.

To me, the key word in all you wrote was 'respectful'.   I think if we
all appreciate diversity
and not expect other human beings to share our experiences or our
conclusions and if we honestly
hold respect in our hearts that the world has a chance of improving.

Glad you un-lurked and look forward to more of your thoughts in the future.

rick