Re: EME moonbounce?

How about this: use a landline phone, call a friend in a far continent -- undersea cable is pretty long. To maximize the delay, have that friend call another friend who is on another continent, etc. Not very good fidelity since phones use a limited frequency range, plus there are switching delays in the phone system, but at least it is feasible to hear a result.

You would need to work with the phone company on this one, since all undersea cables now are optical and digitize the signals, but AFAIK the old electrical cables and repeaters are still there and usable.

Eric

From: Qua Veda <qua@oregon.com>
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Sent: Fri, December 24, 2010 12:24:32 PM
Subject: Re: EME moonbounce?

The signal would be electrical and not audio, of course.  and the very long wire would essentially act like a large resistor.
signal to noise might become a factor to deal with

this reminds me of folks who listen to lightning strikes  (called 'whistlers' ) by attaching some sort of electrical device to long runs of wire fencing out in remote , northern plains areas.

lightning strikes around the world generate fluctuations in the magnetic fields that can be picked up my these very long 'antennas'

for a better source of info than my questionable memory...  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whistler_(radio)

-Qua