Lightning strikes, was Re: EME moonbounce?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/14/arts/design/14sugimoto.html?_r=1

This recent Sunday Times article on Hiroshi Sugimoto is a fascinating
look at how he is exposing negatives using tesla coils and generators
to discharge across the plates.  My nephew, Gregg Stanger, is his
direct assistance.  I am looking forward to seeing some of these when
they make it to a sdhow out here next year.  Meanwhile, my nephew & I
are discussing similar approaches to making direct exposures of sound
discharges.

I'm very happy for this young man, I first met nhim 33 years ago
chasing him in a diaper in his backyard.  The article is worth the
read & there is a cool photo.

On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 9:24 AM, Qua Veda <qua@oregon.com> wrote:
> The signal would be electrical and not audio, of course.  and the very
>long wire would essentially act like a large resistor.
> signal to noise might become a factor to deal with
>
> this reminds me of folks who listen to lightning strikes  (called
>'whistlers' ) by attaching some sort of electrical device to long runs of
>wire fencing out in remote , northern plains areas.
>
> lightning strikes around the world generate fluctuations in the magnetic
>fields that can be picked up my these very long 'antennas'
>
> for a better source of info than my questionable memory...
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whistler_(radio)
>
> -Qua
<SNIP>