Re: EDP videos?

On 25 Dec 2010 at 17:55, mark francombe wrote:

> I understand and remember your frustration Nick, but the best way to
> get on top of your EDP is to try a limited few things at first, then
> dive back into the manual and try a few more..

that's the approach I'm taking.

> For really complex stuff, you can look for Andre le Fosses website,

that's on my reading list, but whilst I can use it put a name to a
feature, there's no "how to".

> Matthias said...
> http://youtube.com/livelooping - ~Musicians explaining... you can find
> several basic ones

Looping isn't the issue - I've looped used a powertran DDL and later
a jamman for over 20 years. I thoroughly "get" the concept. The vids
you mention are generally variations on overdubbing  and "one man
song covers", which is a long way from my musical head. I can already
(just about) replace the jamman with the EDP, it's the sonic mangling
I'm looking to add to my repertoire.

BTW, I don't know if you can add existing videos to your channel, but
here are some of mine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wN5z9FpZZ54
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6Qvbwd0ew4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2U-mbEJfPQ

I'm just surprised by the almost total lack of "how to do it" videos.
I'm not a RTFM criminal - I've taught myself flash and php using TFM
and use midi to control a variety of devices in my chain. I know the
value of DIY tuition, but as a tutor myself (origami!), don't
subscribe to the "I learned it the hard way, why can't you"
philosophy ;)

However, I'm still finding it hard going. I suspect some effects
require parameters that prevent other effects? It would be handy if
there were a list of "to get this effect, you need these parameters
set" type information.

Is it sensible to set up one type of effect, then add it to a preset
for later recall? There are times when I want next loop to contain
audio, others not - rather than change these parameters by midi (if
you can!), I assume a preset would cover it?

One last question - re. using "undo" with windowing" - is there a
"redo" option, so you can take the window forwards as well as
backwards?

> have fun

Oh yes, it's serious creative fun! I apologise for so many Noob
questions ;)

I guess I also need to put my money where my mouth is and record a
few tutorial videos!

All the best,

Nick Robinson

music site :    http://www.looping.me.uk