Re: Re: OT SYNTHETIC MODES

On 7/22/64 11:59 AM, Toby G wrote:
> I'll help you out on the derivation if you could be a little more
> specific about the info you need :)

Here's what McLaughlin says in the introduction to this single page of
his book:

"As you can see, six additional modes can be derived
from the fundamental major mode (Ionian) by starting
on each successive step of the fundamental mode......"

<he's listed all seven of the typical greek modes based
off the C major scale, using only notes inside it>

".......The synthetic fundamental modes are given below.
You can derive additional modes from all the synthetic
fundamental modes by using the same process of starting on
each successive step.  I have spelled out all the fundamental modes
in C for the sake of simplicity...."

Okay,  I get all of that.   Additional modes generate new modes and
potential new harmonies.

Now, my question is, how were these synthetic modes derived?

In other words,   are these just arbitrary clusterings of 7 or 5 note
values in the scale?
In other words,   what differs in these scales from the vast number of
Indian Rags, Arabic Maqams
or Persian Dagstah?

Is there a system for derivation or are these just random but cool clusters
of melody sets?

Thanks, in advance Toby.

yours,  Rick Walker