Re: Piano lessons advice (O.T.)

Il giorno 06/gen/2011, alle ore 12:48, Louie Angulo
<louie.angulo@googlemail.com> ha scritto:

> Hi gang,
> I just got a digital piano this x-mas and i m looking for a good way to
>learn to read the notes,chords etc. to start playing easy pieces.

As a classical trained piano I'd suggest you to look for a basic jazz
piano method as a starting point.
 That way it should be easy for you to learn how build chords, invertions
and relationship between notes and intervals.

> Ive considered taking a few lessons but i rather not start there blind
>and try to learn the basics on my own.

The hard part of the work is technique.
Here I definitively suggest you to take a few lessons to get the
fundamental to understand how to relax your arms and fingers and how to
get YOUR body position in front of the instrument.

A few suggestions:
Keep your arms formung an angle of 45*.
Put your 5 fingers respectively on C-D-E-F-G, adjust each finger on the
keys keeping your hand curved (as you're keeping a tennis ball) then pull
down the keys.
Now keeping down all five keys, start moving up (key release) an down (hit
the note) your thumbs till you get the control.
Do the same with each finger, keeping down the others.
Then do it again moving on C#-D#-E#(F)-F#-G# and so on, cromatically.
(here you'll discover how different it is from guitar, 'cos you'll have
different finger positions trough white and black keys, while on the
guitar you can slip your hand to the  next fret without changing your
shape hand).

Work with separate hands at the beginning.
Then play the same with both hands keeping a two octave range distance
between them.

Later, do the same exercise without keeping down the keys, but just
playing a note after another.

It's a matter of gym.....

> Is there a good method or program outhere you can recomend where you can
>also visually see the notes being played on the keyboard that also
>include nice pieces to start off

Just connect your digital piano via MIDI to your computer, run any
software that reads midi note and translate them in a score and you'll see
which notes you're playing.

Start playing children songs, at the beginning it could be not so easy
read and play music with both hands.

> thanx for your tips!
> cheers
> Luis

Welcome on board, Luis, hope you'll enjoy the piano.

-Fabio
www.eterogeneo.com