Re: Piano lessons advice (O.T.) - visualization in general as a tool

>  that sounds like a lot-o-thinkin'

Actually, it's a lot LESS thinkin'.

Now, this may sound like it's REALLY off topic, but it kind of isn't
because I broke loops down in my head this way as well when I was trying
to figure out how I'd "build" a song quickly.

Anyway, I first discovered this when trying to shave in the shower with no
mirror. If I tried to picture my face as it is, I'd fuck it up. but if I
instead pictured razor sized blocks of black where I shaved over a white
likeness of my face shape, then I'd get it exactly right. Easier to keep
in my head.

It's EXACTLY like reducing bit depth.

Picturing a vertical row of lights requires less processing power to
analyze distance, and is more easily generalizable to picturing finger
distances between different instruments then is visualizing playing one
instrument and trying to generalize it to playing another.

And you can do it with notes, instruments, or entire chunks of songs.
(Enter the looping technique.... now you've left the elevator, with the
one non-cheezy component stuck in your head and you figure out how you'd
play it loop it and build on it.)

I realize that this is all separate from what the original poster was
asking about, since I now see they are more accomplished, but as I say,
these are good reminders of what we all know.