Re: Looper, instrument or a recorder?

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 10:33 PM, Andy Owens <andy@1800dialword.com> wrote:
> With all this script talk and etc, it makes me see that in some ways a
> looper starts becoming an instrument vs a record/instantplayback device.

Indeed an interesting observation! Those are the two main approaches
to live looping, "instrument vs recorder". But maybe it's actually the
musician that chooses to use a looper as an instrument, rather than
the looper "starts becoming an instrument"?. Myself I started to loop
"instrument style" on a regularly basis a decade back with the
hardware loopers of that time that allowed live processing of
instantly captured sound (EDP, Repeater). In 2005 I migrated most of
my performance patches into software, as Mobius then became available.

> At
> some point arent you just really building sounds like you would on a
>moog or
> something, versus capturing musical sounds that you've played?

I'd say live looping is a completely different bag. Does the
expression "Instant Composing" ring a bell?

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se
www.perboysen.com