Re: OT? Driving a VG unit and guitar synth

On 1/20/11 4:01 PM, "Per Boysen" <perboysen@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can't you simply put à MIDI cable fr.o.m. The VG into the utger device?

Won't work, in most cases.  The VG, of course, requires an actual audio
signal to process via its COSM algorithm, so it's obvious why that's a
non-starter through MIDI.  However, most (all?) other guitar synths will
also require a guitar-type controller to trigger the synth engine; they
cannot be played via normal MIDI note input.  So the architecture needs to
be a "split and run in parallel" setup, rather than a "chain one device
after another" effect run.

Now if the question were concerning the VG in tandem with a generic MIDI
synth module, your solution would work just fine.  I've done the same with
my VG-99 in conjunction with a JV-1080.  Unfortunately in this case, both
devices need to be driven from a GK-style pickup controller.

Unless I overlooked something in the original problem description.
Kevin...?

(P.S. There's another footswitch besides the GKP-4 or US-20 that will allow
you to take two GK inputs and route them to three different devices.  It's
custom job from a different company out of, I think, Germany.  It's
expensive, but not so much more than having to pay $200 for a US-20.  At
least you feel like you're getting something besides ripped off for that
one.)

        --m.